It’s not propaganda; it’s the truth. The laughable moment when it hits you: what’s the truth? When is the truth true and not skewed and varied and altered reality? And according to whom? Tell me the story of the Vietnam War — from the point of view of an NVA regular. Wait, that’s not the way it happened. Oh, it most certainly did, from his point of view and vantage. And therein lies the inherent problems attendant to developing and establishing a one-size-fits-all “no bout a doubt it” truth.
‘Weaponization’ of Information House Foreign Affairs Committee Hearing April 15
“The agency charged with leading the effort – the Broadcasting Board of Governors – has a well-documented history of dysfunction,”, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), said in a statement announcing an April 15 hearing “to examine Russia’s use of media to destabilize Ukraine, Eastern Europe and beyond, and the U.S. government’s inability to respond effectively.”
The hearing, entitled “Confronting Russia’s Weaponization of Information,” will be held on Wednesday, April 15th at 10:00 a.m. in 2172 Rayburn House Office Building.
Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, announced the Committee will convene a hearing to examine Russia’s use of media to destabilize Ukraine, Eastern Europe and beyond, and the U.S. government’s inability to respond effectively. The hearing, entitled “Confronting Russia’s Weaponization of Information,” will be held on Wednesday, April 15th at 10:00 a.m. in 2172 Rayburn House Office Building.
Chairman Royce on the hearing: “For years, Putin has used the Russian media to consolidate power at home and divide societies abroad. The strategies employed today by the Kremlin are highly sophisticated and well-funded with an estimated annual budget of more than $600 million. Russia’s media machine has polluted the media environment, the truth is lost, listeners don’t know whom to believe, and fear divides society. Unfortunately, the U.S. has been slow to respond to this challenge and the agency charged with leading the effort – the Broadcasting Board of Governors – has a well-documented history of dysfunction. We need to reform the BBG if we are to have a chance against this ‘weaponization’ of information.”
Note: During the 113th Congress, Chairman Royce and Ranking Member Engel introduced “The U.S. International Communications Reform Act of 2014” (H.R. 4490) which passed the House unanimously. H.R. 4490 proposed to overhaul the Broadcasting Board of Governors, create cost savings, and increase agency efficiency. This legislation will be reintroduced in the coming weeks.
The information war. In 2011 Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State declared while appearing before a congressional committee to ask for extra funds to spread US propaganda through new media said that US is losing the global information war.
“During the Cold War we did a great job in getting America’s message out. After the Berlin Wall fell we said, ‘Okay, fine, enough of that, we are done,’ and unfortunately we are paying a big price for it,” she said. “Our private media cannot fill that gap.”
“We are in an information war and we are losing that war. Al Jazeera is winning, the Chinese have opened a global multi-language television network, the Russians have opened up an English-language network. I’ve seen it in a few countries, and it is quite instructive,” she stated.
Questions. For your review, please consider the following questions.
- Define specifically what is disinformation and propaganda versus spin doctoring versus the truth, the acceptable truth.
- How can anyone watching mainstream American media today think for a moment that they’re receiving the straight news without distortion or bias? Or, correction, without unacceptable distortion or bias.
- What exactly is the accepted Western position as Ed Royce describes?
- Can anyone with two neurons to rub together believe for a moment the sincerity of Liz Wahl in her “spontaneous departure”? Remember Charlo Greene who quit over marijuana in another “spontaneous” non-publicity stunt move? As to Wahl’s heroic move, I commend to you this review: How Cold War-Hungry Neocons Stage Managed RT Anchor Liz Wahl’s Resignation.
- When mainstream media shows are devoted to American mainstream media news that fail to reveal the truth, are they crypto-Russian agents spewing “non-Western” messages?